Gymnasiums & Indoor Facilities
Fitness Center (Campus Center Lower Level)
The Fitness Center is now open to IUPUI students, faculty, and staff. This 10,000-square-foot facility, located in the Lower Level of the Campus Center, offers nearly 30 pieces of cardio equipment as well as additional weight- and strength-training equipment, and programming space for fitness classes and physical training.
Where is the Jaguar Fitness Center?
The Jaguar Fitness Center is located on the Theater Level of the Campus Center.
Who can use the Jaguar Fitness Center?
The 10,000-square-foot fitness facility is available to IUPUI students, faculty, and staff with a Campus Recreation membership.
Can I bring a guest?
At this time, there is not a guest policy in Campus Recreation facilities. Any person using the Jaguar Fitness Center must have a current affiliation with IUPUI and have purchased a Campus Recreation membership.
What are the hours?
Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, noon to 6 p.m.
What does it cost to use the Jaguar Fitness Center?
Currently, the recreation fee is $15 per semester for students and $83 per semester for faculty and staff. Members can expect an increase in the fee to accommodate the new facility and expanded services. Membership will allow access to the Jaguar Fitness Center, group fitness classes, open gym, swimming, and intramural activities.
- Summer 2018: $30 for students/$75 for faculty and staff
- Fall 2018: $50 for students/$100 for faculty and staff
How do I pay the fee to use the Jaguar Fitness Center?
Students may pay via their bursar account when registering for classes or in person at the Jaguar Fitness Center front desk with cash, credit card, or CrimsonCard. Faculty and staff will also be able to pay at the Fitness Center front desk or through payroll deduction.
What equipment is available?
The Jaguar Fitness Center has cardio equipment, including treadmills, ellipticals, upright bikes, and rowing machines. The center also includes free-weight strength machines and pin-select strength machines. Additional space and equipment are available to group fitness class participants.
What accessibility accommodations are available?
The Jaguar Fitness Center is handicapped accessible. Entry to the facility is from the Theater Level (TL on elevator). Additionally, the facility has ADA-compliant fitness equipment: four ADA pin-select machines; two Krankcylces, no seat (ADA); and three sets of hex rubber dumbbells.
What classes and programming are offered?
The group fitness class schedule changes each semester depending on interest and instructor availability. The new facility offers traditional group exercise classes, including yoga, Turbo Kick, Cize Live, and Zumba. We also offer "Coach by Color" cycling classes as well as functional training/small group training sessions.
Are classes included in the membership fee?
All fitness classes are free for members. Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on the room size and class format.
Is access to the IU Natatorium included in the fee?
Members will have access to the Natatorium pool as part of their membership with Campus Recreation.
Are locker rooms and lockers available?
The Jaguar Fitness Center offers both men’s and women’s locker rooms as well as three gender-neutral shower rooms. Day lockers and cubbies are available for members.
Is there a towel service?
The Jaguar Fitness Center does not offer a towel service. Members are encouraged to bring a workout and/or shower towel.
Are you hiring?
We hire students for a variety of positions. If you are interested in working for Campus Recreation, please call 317-274-0613 for more information.
Is access to National Institute for Fitness and Sport (NIFS) included in the fee?
No. NIFS is a private fitness center and requires a separate membership for use of its facility.
Main Gymnasium/The Jungle (PE 150)
Located on the first floor of the School of Physical Education & Tourism Management, the Main Gymnasium is available on an informal basis for badminton, basketball, volleyball, indoor soccer, or dodgeball whenever athletic games, special events, intramural league play, and classes are not scheduled. The Main Gymnasium can be set up for eight badminton courts (for both singles and doubles), three volleyball courts, or two full basketball courts. Access to the facility as well as basketballs and volleyballs are available to IUPUI students, faculty, and staff who have paid the recreation fee and have a valid CrimsonCard/Jagtag ID.
Open Gym hours are Monday through Friday from 8 to 11 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 10 p.m.
Main Gym Policies and Procedures
- All participants must present a valid CrimsonCard/Jagtag ID and have paid the semester recreation fee before entering the gymnasium. No exceptions.
- Since participation in recreational activities is on a voluntary basis, neither the university nor Campus Recreation will accept responsibility for injuries sustained while participating in recreational and intramural programs.
- No dunking. No hanging on the rims.
- Appropriate attire must be worn. Proper footwear (non-marking soles) must be worn by all participants. Open-toed footwear is not allowed in the workout areas, racquetball courts, or basketball courts. Hard-soled dress shoes, spikes/cleats, or boots are not allowed. Shirts bearing inappropriate messages are not permitted. Due to potential biological hazard, medical scrubs are not permitted.
- No personal items such as bookbags, workout bags, and coats are allowed in the Main Gym.
- No guests or children are allowed. Anyone entering the activity area must have a valid CrimsonCard/Jagtag ID and have paid the semester recreation fee.
- No eating, smoking or pets allowed.
- The use of the facility may be restricted at certain times. A notice will be posted.
For rental information, click here.
Dance Studio (PE 155)
The Dance Studio is scheduled for physical education classes, informal group fitness classes (aerobics, yoga, Zumba), and club activities (cheerleading, dance, fencing, martial arts). This studio features a wall of mirrors. The Dance Studio is available by request only whenever informal classes, physical education classes, and special events are not scheduled. Please visit the Department of Kinesiology (PETM) for rental information.
Dance Studio Policies and Procedures
- All participants in group fitness classes must sign in and provide a CrimsonCard/Jagtag ID.
- Student club members using the Dance Studio must sign in and provide a CrimsonCard/Jagtag ID.
- Appropriate attire must be worn. Proper footwear (non-marking soles) must be worn by all participants except when involved in a program that requires bare feet. Open-toed footwear is not allowed in the workout areas. Hard-soled dress shoes, spikes/cleats or boots are not allowed.
- No eating, smoking or pets allowed.
Kinesiology Strength and Conditioning Lab (PE 061)
Physical Education & Tourism Management now makes the Kinesiology Strength and Conditioning Lab available to Campus Recreation. This facility includes lifting platforms, power racks, plate loaded strength, selectorized strength, body-weight machines, and resistance bands. Room capacity for Campus Recreation hours is limited to 28 participants at a time. Campus Rec hours are Monday through Friday from 4 to 11 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 10 p.m.
In order to use the Kinesiology Strength and Conditioning lab, there is a required 15- to 25-minute orientation designed for individuals new to exercise. Orientation is free to all Campus Recreation members and is scheduled with the Campus Recreation staff, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., in PE 043. Students will return to the Campus Recreation office at their scheduled appointment to complete their orientation. Participants are asked to come dressed for exercise and ready to learn how to use equipment safely and effectively.