What Is Gaga ?
Gaga, is very similar to dodgeball. The object of the game is to strike the gaga ball at your opponents, hitting them below the waist, while avoiding balls from the other players at the same time. The game can be played by groups of individual players, teams, or one-on-one matches. The game itself is played in a large hexagon or octagon shaped ring, commonly called a Gaga Pit.
The game is started by one player throwing the ball up into the air. When it bounces twice, for the first two bounces the game has officially begun. A player is not allowed to hit the ball twice in a row unless it bounces off a wall or another player. Players are out of the game if they get been hit by the ball or if they hit the ball out of the pit. Players must leave the pit once they are eliminated.
Campus Recreation has Gaga® for your campus and student organizational special events. For more information about Campus Recreation Gaga®, contact Campus Recreation at 317-274-2824.
Gaga Rules of Play:
- To begin the game, all players must have at least one hand touching the wall.
- Players must hit the ball with open hands. Picking up the ball and throwing it is not allowed.
- Any player who is touched by the ball either directly or by a rebound off the wall is “out.”
- If the ball hits a player anywhere below the waist that player must leave the game. If the ball contacts the player above the waist, the player is still in.
- A player cannot touch the ball two times in a row. The ball must hit another player or the wall before they can hit it again. If a player violates this rule, it is called double touch, and they are eliminated from the game.
- If a player hits a ball out of the court, that player is out.
- Players cannot kick the ball as this violates the ‘below the waist’ rule, and thus will eliminate them from the game.
- The winner is the last person left in the game.