Student Success Programs
Student Transition Specialist
POSITION DESCRIPTION Student Transition Specialist
REPORTS TO: Allison Barkel, Coordinator for Student Success & Outreach, Educational Partnerships & Student Advocacy
DEPARTMENT: Office of Educational Partnerships & Student Advocacy, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
SUMMARY: The Office of Educational Partnerships and Student Advocacy (EPSA) is offering a great leadership development opportunity for undergraduate students to serve as a role model to new students. The Student Transition Specialist position is your opportunity to help incoming students learn more about how to get connected and become engaged members of the IUPUI community.
These campus leaders will assist new students’ transition to IUPUI by:
- Creating a welcoming environment to allow students to connect with their peers.
- Providing information about the holistic student experience and the importance of being engaged on campus.
- Presenting information about programs and services that help students succeed.
- Introducing students to student organizations, campus activities, traditions, and campus pride.
- Developing programs and implementing initiatives to promote IUPUI sense of belonging.
Position Start Date: February 1, 2016 (Hourly)
All IUPUI students who have spent at least one calendar year at IUPUI are eligible to apply for the Student Transition Specialist position. Applicants must have be in good academic and judicial standing with the University. Preference will be given to individuals who can work all of the dates during summer orientation, and commit to working throughout the 2016 calendar year. STSs will be scheduled 20-25 hours/week during the summer and 10-15 hours/weeks during the academic school year.
Student Transition Specialists should:
- Possess strong interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills.
- Have the ability to work well with others individually and in small groups.
- Work effectively with diverse populations.
- Be involved in student life at IUPUI. (This may include clubs/organizations, campus leadership positions, athletics, community service, etc.)
- Be able to demonstrate and articulate the benefits of being involved on-campus and introduce students to campus resources to help them succeed.
- Possess knowledge and demonstrate enthusiasm for the IUPUI campus and community.
- Have prior experience planning programs and/or events.
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork experience.
- Represent the Division of Student Affairs to new students and families at orientation and various campus events.
- Express the benefits and importance of being involved on-campus to new students and families.
- Raise awareness of campus resources and involvement opportunities during resource fairs.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the JagVenture Leadership Camp.
- Plan bi-annual JagVenture Reunion for past participants.
- Serve as the chair to the Weeks of Welcome Student Steering Committee, including facilitating meetings, organizing programs and collaborating with campus partners.
- Work with new student success initiatives and generate a sense of belonging with first and second year students.
- Develop and execute orientation student engagement programs including Jag 101 and JagBlast.
- Help develop marketing strategies to promote EPSA programs and services through various outlets including social media, fliers and giveaways.
- Actively engage and communicate with new students and families to share resources and involvement information (Principles of Co-curricular Learning 1: Core Communication, Principles of Co-curricular Learning 8: Interpersonal Development)
- Build positive relationships with staff and students to create cohesive teams, enact values and meet shared goals (Principles of Co-curricular Learning 8: Interpersonal Development)
- Initiate, develop and implement new programs and services to create a welcoming, supportive campus for all students (Principles of Co-curricular Learning 2: Critical Thinking).
- Application Open- November 20
- Application Closes- December 11
- STSs Begin- February 1
Applications can be filled out and submitted here.