Leadership Development and Civic Engagement
Alternative Break Programs
Alternative Spring Break
Application period: November 1 - November 14!
Alternative Break trips are centered around social issues and are service-learning experiences. The trips allow students to connect with different communities and cultures while working to create positive, sustainable change. We embrace a simple living philosophy that values mindfulness and practical living – which allows us to focus on the ‘here and now’ to building community among a group of strangers. These experiences are immersive and participants say they build lasting relationships with the other students on the trip. All in all, this is one of the best student experiences at IUPUI!
This year, join us for our largest Alternative Spring Break (ASB) yet! IUPUI Alternative Breaks will host 8 Alternative Spring Breaks (ASB) during the 2017 spring break!
Social issues for 2017 Alternative Spring Break (ASB) Trips:
- Animal Welfare
- Indigenous Rights
- Mental Health
- Rural Poverty
- Systemic Racism, with a focus on gentrification & food deserts
* A full list of trip social issues and descriptions is available on this page
Benefits of participation:
- Meaningful community service
- Meet new people & make friends
- Learn about social and political issues
- Work on social issues that are important to you
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations
- Become eligible for 2017-2018 scholarships
- Gain leadership skills
Join us for a trip of a lifetime this March! All trips depart Sunday, March 12th and arrive back to IUPUI on Saturday, March 19th!
Cost: Only $100!
*some fee waivers available - inquire on the application!
*cost includes: transportation, housing, and most meals
How to Apply:
1. Alternative Spring Break (ASB) application period: November 1st – November 14th.
2. The link will go live on November 1st and can be accessed on this webapge: go.iupui.edu/ASB.
3. Applicants will by notified by Nov 18th. Once notified, applicants must accept and pay the $100 fee by Monday, Nov 28th to the Office of the Campus Center & Student Experiences (room 370 of the Campus Center).
4. If accepted applicants do not make the payment, they will lose their spot. At this point, we will notify waitlisted applicants and offer them the spot.
What if I cannot afford the experience?
Email the Coordinator of Civic Engagement, Niki Messmore, at JagBreak@iupui.edu. There will be a few fee waivers offered to cover costs. If you are interested, you can apply to become an "Alternative Break Assistant". In this role you will spend a total of 6 hours before the trip helping the Alternative Break leaders prepare by planning ice breakers and researching the social issue. On the trip you will help facilitate 1-2 ice breakers and/or group reflections.
To learn more: Visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page!
* Twitter & Instagram: @JagBreak