Leadership Development and Civic Engagement
Alternative Break Programs
Alternative Spring Break
Directions: Scroll down on our Den page to “Forms” and look for the “2018 Alternative Spring Break (ASB) Application”.
Alternative Break trips are centered around social issues and are service-learning experiences. The trips allow students to connect with different communities and cultures while working to create positive, sustainable change. We embrace a simple living philosophy that values mindfulness and practical living – which allows us to focus on the ‘here and now’ to building community among a group of strangers. These experiences are immersive and participants say they build lasting relationships with the other students on the trip. All in all, this is one of the best student experiences at IUPUI!
This year the IUPUI Alternative Break program offers TEN trips, including 2 Fall Alternative Break (FAB) and 8 Alternative Spring Break (ASB) trips! By the end of spring break, we will have gone on 90 trips as a program – join us and be a part of IUPUI history!
Social issues for 2017 Alternative Spring Break (ASB) Trips:
- Corporate Social Responsibility (partnership with Kelley School of Business for Kelley Honors)
- Drug Addiction & Recovery
- LGBTQ+ Youth Experiencing Homelessness
- Mental Health & Youth
- Sustainable Living
* A full list of trip social issues and descriptions will be available soon.
Benefits of participation:
- Meaningful community service
- Meet new people & make friends
- Learn about social and political issues
- Work on social issues that are important to you
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations
Become eligible for 2018-2019 Alternative Break Scholarships
Gain leadership skills
Join us for a trip of a lifetime this March! All trips depart Sunday, March 11th and arrive back to IUPUI on Saturday, March 17th!
Cost: Only $100!
*Some fee waivers available - inquire on the application!
*Cost includes: transportation, housing, and most meals
Important Dates for 2018 Alternative Spring Break (ASB)
Please note that these events are mandatory.
- October 20th – 2018 Applications Open
- November 6th – 2018 Applications Close
- November 10th – Acceptance and Waitlist Notifications go out
- November 15th - $100 fees due by 4:00pm
- December 1st – Alternative Break Assistant (ABA) Orientation at 3pm-4pm
- December 8th – ASB Kick-Off for all participants
- February 2nd – 1st Pre-Trip Education (PTE) meeting in trip teams, 3pm-5pm
- February 16th – 2nd Pre-Trip Education (PTE) meeting in trip teams, 3pm-5pm
- February 23rd – 3rd Pre-Trip Education (PTE) meeting in trip teams, 3pm-5pm
- March 9th – 4th Pre-Trip Education (PTE) meeting in trip teams, 3pm-5pm
- March 11-17 – Alternative Spring Break (ASB) trips
- April 21st – ASB Reorientation for all participants, 9am-3pm
How to Apply:
- Alternative Spring Break (ASB) application period: October 20th – November 6th.
- The link will go live on October 20th and can be accessed on our Den Page: IUPUI Alternative Breaks - https://theden.iupui.edu/organization/JagBreak
- Log into The Den using your CAS IU account
- Once you arrive on our Den page, scroll down to “Forms” and click the form “2018 Alternative Spring Break Application”. If you cannot see the forms section, check again if you are logged in. If you still cannot see it, request membership into the IUPUI Alternative Breaks organization. Once we add you, you can definitely see it.
- Applicants will by notified by Friday, November 10th. Once notified, applicants must accept and pay the $100 fee by Wednesday, Nov 15th to the Office of the Campus Center & Student Experiences (room 370 of the Campus Center).
- If accepted applicants do not make the payment, they will lose their spot. At this point, we will notify waitlisted applicants and offer them the spot.
What if I cannot afford the experience?
Email the Coordinator of Civic Engagement, Niki Messmore, at JagBreak@iupui.edu. There will be a few fee waivers offered to cover costs. If you are interested, you can apply to become an "Alternative Break Assistant". In this role you will spend a total of 6 hours before the trip helping the Alternative Break leaders prepare by planning ice breakers and researching the social issue. On the trip you will help facilitate 1-2 ice breakers and/or group reflections.
To learn more: Visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page!
* Twitter & Instagram: @JagBreak