Programs & Seminars
Registration is now CLOSED for Freedom Rides 2016: Tracing Civil Unrest in the Midwest.
Do you want to learn more about leadership and social justice?
Do you want to impact IUPUI and the wider community?
Freedom Rides is a five-year-long running social justice immersion trip sponsored by the Office of Student Involvement that takes place annually over Spring Break. This year, Freedom Rides participants will travel to Cincinnati and Chicago over five days (March 14th-18th) where they will engage in individual and group leadership development, connect and serve with community partners, and explore how the history of Civil Rights in the Midwest impacts social justice work today.
Participants will be required to attend two pre-trip meetings and the entire Spring Break trip. Please note: there is no cost to attend Freedom Rides.
Selected Comments from Past Participants:
- “My first year TLC was based on Social Justice and this took everything I learned and made it real.”
- “I learned a lot of history and I will take away the feeling that I can make an impact on social justice sooner than I thought I could. I don’t have to wait until I have 30 years of experience in a field or that I have to go it alone.”
- “It was a very life changing experience. I would never have been able to get this same experience just by going to Memphis myself.”
- “An experience to not only learn to see from new perspectives, but to engage in active conversations to learn.”
- “It was a wonderful way to spend my Spring Break!
Freedom Rides Learning Outcomes
After Freedom Rides 2016, students will:
- Be able to define and have nuanced conversations around “race,” “racism,” and “intersectionality”
- Have a broader understanding of their multiple identities and how those produce privilege/oppression in their lives and leadership processes
- Develop core communication skills as they engage in dialogue and practice controversy with civility around identity/privilege/oppression with their peers
- Identify their personal leadership skills and traits to better understand their role in working for positive social change
- Be able to identify historic movements for racial justice/social change in the Midwest
- Learn about “coalition building” and the importance of cultivating alliances across difference
This event is sponsored by Lead IUPUI and Social Justice Education in the Office of Student Involvement.