Student Organizations & Activities
While the role of advisor for student organizations is organic in nature, the Office of the Campus Center and Student Experiences encourages all student organization advisors to adhere to the following:
- To assist students in developing strategies and goals that provide for member ownership, feedback and involvement.
- To be aware of the student organization's constitution, by-laws and policies and assist the group in updating these documents and setting goals when necessary. Constitutions are available in the Office of the Campus Center and Student Experiences and on the organization's The Den profile.
- To assist the student organization in program development and planning, including assisting organizations in managing liability and risk.
- To encourage the organizational leadership to attend leadership development opportunities, including those offered to students at IUPUI through the Student Organization Leadership Development Program (SOLD) and the required Nuts & Bolts session.
- To complete Advisor Competency Education requirements as facilitated by the Office of the Campus Center and Student Experiences. Please note that the Advisor Competency Program is currently undergoing review and update. Consequently, the program has been suspended for the 2016-2017 academic year and will be re-introduced in Fall 2017.
- To encourage the officers and individual members to preserve the continuity of the group by keeping records to document the group's history and providing transition activities for new officers.
- To encourage students to understand and apply democratic principles, including recognition of minority opinions and rights.
- To attend as many organization meetings and events as possible.
- To articulate campus policies and procedures.
- To be a facilitator among both officers and between officers and members.
- To be familiar with national organizational structure and services, if relevant.
- To be a resource for students especially in regard to understanding University policies, regulations and services.
- Consult with other University departments when problems arise with the student organization.
- Providing assistance in the administration of financial affairs of the student organization, including serving as the collection point for all monies via mail.
- To inform the Office of the Campus Center and Student Experiences in writing if he or she is no longer able to serve or does not wish to serve as advisor to the student organization.
If you are a student organization advisor and you have any questions about the above requirements, please contact a member of the Student Activities Team at email@example.com.