Student Advocacy and Support

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the questions below for each answer.

  • What can a Student Advocate help me with?

    College can be confusing and we want to make sure to address all the questions and concerns. We are a one-stop-shop for helping. We serve as a liaison with other offices and departments on campus to help you get questions answered. We also help clarify and explain University policies and procedures. Our primary focus is to help each student succeed throughout their college experience – we are here for YOU.

  • What are the Student Advocate’s confidentiality policies?

    In order to create a safe place to voice concerns, evaluate issues, and identify options, the Student Advocate respects the confidentiality and privacy of all persons. Exceptions to individuals outside the university are only made with expressed permission from the student or as required by law, including if there is a perceived imminent risk of serious harm.  However, in the pursuit of investigating a student’s concerns, the Student Advocate may consult with other university faculty and staff on a student issue.  The Student Advocate abides by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

  • What options are out there to assist with financial difficulties?

    Get in touch with us! Every person’s situation is unique and we will do our best to evaluate the need and connect you with resources.

  • I missed the deadline to drop my classes…is it too late to withdraw?

    There are several deadlines related to dropping courses each term. Students can typically drop classes on their own through OneStart until the end of the first week. After that, they can drop classes by contacting an academic advisor. For specific deadlines and more information, please visit the Registrar’s Class Withdraw page

    Please keep in mind that withdrawing during a semester may have enormous financial repercussions. Our office can help explore options and explain the process and any applicable policies. We will help you to make an informed decision.

  • What is the absence policy at IUPUI?

    There is no University-wide absence policy at IUPUI. Each faculty member manages his or her classroom in the manner in which they see fit and are the only ones who may determine what constitutes an excused absence. Students should communicate directly with instructors about absences. Faculty may request documentation in order to excuse absences per course or departmental policy.

    If a student will be out of class for 3 or more days and are unable to contact your professors (ex. hospitalization), please contact our office. The Student Advocate will only provide notice of an absence of 3 or more days. This will not count as an excused absence. The Student Advocate does not have oversight of academic departments or faculty members and does not grant individual excused absences.

    Student Emergency Resources

  • I am having a disagreement with my professor. What do I do?

    This really depends on the topic of the conflict. The first step would be to talk with the instructor directly, in-person, and in a calm manner. If you have issues with the instructor’s grading or with course procedures, you may consider a Grade Change Petition. Concerns about the instructor’s conduct may be directed to the course coordinator (if the course has one) or the department chair.

    The Student Advocate also offers conflict coaching, during which a staff member would discuss the conflict and ways to approach the conversation. Please call 317-274-4431 to schedule an appointment.

  • How do I dispute a grade I feel is incorrect?

    The University has a formal procedure for grade grievances.

    Generally, you should first address your issue with the instructor of the course. If no resolution is reached, you may file a Grade Change Petition. Additional steps are described in the link above.

  • Where can I find legal assistance?

    The Student Advocate has some resources for pro bono/reduced-rate legal clinics in the community.

    Community Resources

  • Can I submit a complaint to the Student Advocate anonymously?

    Although we highly recommend visiting the Student Advocate, you do have the option to submit an anonymous complaint/concern if you so desire. Please keep in mind the Student Advocate will not be able to follow up with those who do not identify themselves.

  • I am unsure if the Student Advocate can help me with my concern. What should I do?

    Definitely speak with the Student Advocate! The Student Advocate will not turn you away. Even if there is nothing that they can do to specifically assist, it is sometimes helpful for you to process your problem out loud with someone else.

  • What if I have a question that is not answered here?
    Ask the Advocate