We are so excited that you have taken the first step to quitting tobacco -- learning about the options available to you. Tobacco use is related to many of our dimensions of wellness – physical, financial, social and occupational to name a few – so it’s no surprise that your decisions about tobacco can affect every area of your life. It is important to know how to quit, what resources are available to you, and how to maintain your tobacco-free lifestyle.
Ready to Quit Tobacco
Nicotine Replacement Therapies (NRT)
NRT is a type of treatment that gives small, steady doses of nicotine to help stop cravings and relieve symptoms that occur when a person is trying to quit smoking. These products include nicotine gum, nicotine inhaler, nicotine nasal spray, nicotine lozenges and nicotine patch, and most are available without a prescription at your local pharmacy. Your IUPUI Quit Coach can get you started with some free samples.
There are prescription medications that have been shown to help smokers quit, and some can be used along with NRTs to increase success of quitting. Consult with a physician about which prescription and NRT combination would work best for you. We recommend visiting Student Health Services on IUPUI's campus.
Seeking out individual, group or phone coaching/counseling has been proven to be effective for helping people quit.
People who use a combination of counseling and medication are most successful at quitting tobacco. Get started in our free tobacco cessation program to learn more.
IUPUI Quit Coach
Obtaining a free coach is easy, and the work you'll do together can have the biggest impact on your journey of quitting tobacco. Your certified coach from Health and Wellness Promotion will provide personalized guidance, education on cessation methods that work, and help you design a personal quitting plan.
Schedule an intake appointment
Your Quit Coach is ready to hear what your goals and aspirations are and is looking forward to meeting you. To schedule your meeting, fill out this quick form, and someone from our office will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
If you have any questions about the coaching program, please email email@example.com.
Staying tobacco free
We are proud of you for taking the steps to quit tobacco, and we want to make sure you have the tools and resources to maintain your tobacco-free lifestyle. It is important to know your personal triggers, how to tackle cravings, and surround yourself with support. To learn more about maintaining your tobacco-free lifestyle, consult with an IUPUI Quit Coach or learn more on your own here.
Supporting others quitting
Having the right support is integral to being successful and staying tobacco-free. Below are some ways to support those around you who are on their journey to quitting tobacco.
- Don’t lecture. Quitting is already hard enough, and they need your positive support.
- Tell them about IUPUI's free coaching services.
- Be patient if they are going through withdrawal.
- Offer distracting activities like going to the movies or playing a game of basketball.
- Help them de-stress by doing things like yoga or taking a walk.
- Don’t be too hard on them if they slip up. Remind them of the progress they made, and tell them you know they can still quit.
- Celebrate big and small successes.
- Offer ongoing support. Even after they have quit, cravings can pop up, so continue to celebrate tobacco-free anniversaries and offer distractions and de-stressing activities.
- Everyone needs something different, so don't be afraid to ask directly how you can support them.