Have you wondered how or when to refer a student to CAPS?
Follow these tips:
- Speak directly in a straightforward fashion.
- Do not attempt to coerce or trick the student into seeking counseling.
- Make it clear that the recommendation represents your best judgment based on observations of the student's behaviors.
- Be specific regarding the behaviors that raise concerns.
- Leave the option open for the student to accept or refuse counseling EXCEPT in emergencies (e.g., suicidal or homicidal intent).
- If comfortable, ask the student's permission to contact CAPS while they are present and/or offer to walk the student to CAPS to be seen immediately.
- Follow up with the student at a later date to indicate a continued interest even if they did not accept the attempted referral.
Remember to work within your comfort level and capacity to help. You can contact CAPS at (317) 274-2548 for consultation services or the Behavioral Consultation Team for additional support.