Have you wondered how or when to refer a student to CAPS?
Follow these tips:
- Speak directly in a straightforward fashion.
- Do not attempt to coerce or trick the student into seeking counseling.
- Make it clear that the recommendation represents your best judgment based on observations of the student's behaviors.
- Be specific regarding the behaviors that raise concerns.
- Leave the option open for the student to accept or refuse counseling EXCEPT in emergencies (e.g., suicidal or homicidal intent).
- If comfortable, ask the student's permission to contact CAPS while he or she is present and/or offer to walk the student to CAPS to be seen immediately.
- Follow up with the student at a later date to indicate a continued interest even if he or she did not accept the attempted referral.
Remember to work within your comfort level and capacity to help. You can contact CAPS at (317) 274-2548 for consultation services or the Behavioral Consultation Team for additional support.