Recommending CAPS

A helping hand

Have you wondered how or when to refer a student to CAPS?

Follow these tips:

  • Speak directly in a straightforward fashion.
  • Do not attempt to coerce or trick the student into seeking counseling.
  • Make it clear that the recommendation represents your best judgment based on observations of the student's behaviors.
  • Be specific regarding the behaviors that raise concerns.
  • Leave the option open for the student to accept or refuse counseling EXCEPT in emergencies (e.g., suicidal or homicidal intent).
  • If comfortable, ask the student's permission to contact CAPS while they are present and/or offer to walk the student to CAPS to be seen immediately.
  • Follow up with the student at a later date to indicate a continued interest even if they did not accept the attempted referral.

Remember to work within your comfort level and capacity to help. You can contact CAPS at (317) 274-2548 for consultation services or the Behavioral Consultation Team for additional support.

Note: Students requiring immediate assistance are seen the same day on an emergency basis. Emergency sessions are intended for those students experiencing suicidal thoughts, having difficulty completing typical daily tasks, or facing an acute stressor that threatens the life of self or others.

What to expect

Your student can expect the following when making their first visit to CAPS:

  • Completing a brief series of online forms 
  • Scheduling of a consultation session for within a week (the wait might be longer during times of high demand)
  • Assessment of the student’s concerns and current situations, followed by a recommendation for the most appropriate treatment, which can include group or individual therapy at CAPS or at an outside clinic

If the student would prefer to look at off-campus services, please refer them to CAPS for Case Management assistance or to the IUPUI Thriving Campus Provider List. (Please note that these are not referrals or endorsements but places you can start.)